Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mama Mia, here I go again...

Let my adventure continue…

I can't believe I'm writing this with only a month and a half left in Italy! Of course my quickest semester of college is the one when I'm abroad! Go figures!

Although, my journey is not totally over yet, this experience has been life changing and eye opening on so many different levels. I was just talking with my best friend, Gemma, about how crazy the difference a few months can make. When I was dropping her off at the airport in January, we said, when we reunite back together in May, everything would be different. I personally feel like a totally different person. My thoughts are clearer and I've learned to be content. Content with myself, my journey and Gods plan. Having this incredible privilege to travel has been a humbling experience and made me realize just how truly blessed I am. I really do feel like the luckiest and happiest girl. I can't stop smiling!

I apologize for the momentary sappiness. I needed to have my Eat, Pray, Love moment. Back to the travels…


This past week I was island hopping in Greece for 10 days for my Spring Break. First of all, I even got a Spring Break? Whattt?! Not like I'm not working hard at school, but it's crazy to be given a vacation, when you feel like you are on a permanent vacation. Second, GREECE! Hello! Ever since I've watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Lena fell in love with Costa's in Santorini, Greece moved its way up to number one on my bucket list! I can't believe I finally experienced it!

After what seemed like years of traveling via boat, bus, and ferry, the trip was broken into three different locations:

Corfu- Classic College Spring Break

This was your typical (not so typical) Spring Break trip. We were right on the beautiful beach, overlooking the brilliant blue waters and everyone was laying out, drinking and shivering just to catch a ray of sun. At night, the hotel turned into a night club, which was a blast. The coolest light effects. On the second day, we went kayaking to the top of this rock fixture in the middle of the water. This may be one of my favorite experiences thus far. It was stunning, I can't even believe it was real life-it looked like something out of a magazine. Unfortunately, I couldn't take my camera because it would have gotten wet, but the view was unreal. Once we got to the top of the rock, we sat and ate lunch overlooking all of Corfu. I wish I could have brought everyone I know with me. That night was the famous Pink Palace Toga party. Everyone came dressed in their pink togas and the night was filled with greek dancing and plate smashing. Yes, I got a plate smashed over my head. Oppa! On the last day it rained, but it was actually a great day filled with girl talk, bonding and resting. Girl talk is always good for the soul.
Traveling onward, we took a ferry to…

Athens-Zues, Acropolis, Saganaki 

I feel like I didn't have the typical tourist trip to Athens because when we arrived, it was Greek Independence day. This was so cool because we got to see the parade and all of Greek armed forces, but, it also put a slight damper on the trip because most historic monuments were closed. We were given a walking tour around the city and I kept thinking about Hercules and how I was in his stomping ground, which was pretty awesome (and probably only something I would think). We walked to the top of the Acropolis and then walked to the top of the rock, which overlooked all of Athens. It was remarkable. The rest of the afternoon we spent shopping- I got personalized leather sandals made by the Poet in Athens, who has made shoes for Sara Jessica Parker, Jackie Kennedy, Barbara Streisand and John Lennon! I LOVE them! I also ate a lot of traditional greek food: Tzatziki (on literally everything), Grape Leaves, Fava (Hummus), Sagnaki (Fried Cheese aka the best thing you will ever eat), Gyros (pronounced euro), Greek salad and Souvlaki's. All so yummy! That night we took another ferry to…

Santorini- The most beautiful place in the world



Santorini is perfection. It is a quaint small town with a beachy feel. All the locals are so friendly and mostly everything is family owned. The hotel we stayed at was like a mini Greek home, it was adorable. I loved walking around the town, going into all the little shops. I bought a lot of pretty souvenirs, mostly things with the Evil Eye, a Greek symbol to ward away evil, enemies and bring luck to the owner of the eye. Interesting tidbit. The first night we watched the sunset in Fira. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (until Oia). We ate dinner watching the sunset fall over the water, I wish I had been on a date it was so romantic! The next day we spend laying out on the Black Sand Beach. I did not go in the water because the waves were crazyyy, but the weather was perfect and I loved just sleeping on the beach (my happy place). That night we went to Oia, the famous white houses with blue tops. I can't put into words how stunningly breathtaking this sunset and view was. I could sit and stare at it for hours, months, years and never get sick of it. Also, so very romantic and a slight bummer to be standing there by yourself, but someday, this is the ultimate couples vacation spot! Anyone looking to purpose to someone in the future, this would be the spot! To finish of the trip, the next day I got fishy pedicures (just like the Kardashian's) and I rode a donkey! Well, I didn't ride it because they looked sad and treated poorly, so I gave them so love and then opted for just a picture.

To end the trip we traveled back to Athens for a hot second (literally 4 hours), then back on the boat to Italy (26 hours)! The traveling could have been pretty awful, but I loved the group of girls I was with, we bounded like no other and I was with my best friend Ericka's friends from her hometown in South Carolina! They are so fun and sweet and I felt like I had my BFF with me. There you go Mingy, there was your shout out! 


Overall, Greece was AMAZING. I will 100% be back.

The rest of this week has been recovery from a week of festivities. I was actually lucky enough to have a taste of home and have dinner with my ballet teacher Ms. Maris and her husband Richard (who I have known since I was a baby). I can't say I'm home sick, but it's always nice to be surrounded by loved ones, and people you are familiar with,
especially when you are forced to be out of your comfort zone so often when traveling.

Coming soon: This weekend I go to PRAGUE! Someplace I never imagined I would be visiting, but I could not be more excited. I've heard it's one of Europe's hidden gems!

The next weekend I go to Sicily with my school, which I'm very excited for! The weather will be beautiful and we get to visit Pompeii!

Anddd not to get too eager, but in exactly 13 days, the Bologna's take on Florence!!! YAY FAMIGLIA! I'm so excited to show my Dad, Mom, Brother and his Girlfriend Jessica around Florence and travel around Italy with them. And obviously give them huge hugs! Happy, happy, happy!

That's all for now.

Until next time,


xoxo
Baci e abbracci 

Ali





No comments:

Post a Comment