Monday, April 28, 2014

Once upon a time..

The last we left off, I had just gotten back from Greece and still had a month and a half left in Italy. Since then, a lot of traveling and excitement has happened! Now, I have been to Prague, Sicily, Siena, San Gimignano, Padova, Lake Garda, Venice, Pisa and Cinque Terre, my family has come and gone, my brother is engaged and I only have 19 days left in Italy. Wow. What? When? How? Where did time go?!

 Lately, all that has been on my mind is the concept of time. I've always been told that as you get older, times goes by faster and the years fly by quicker. Not like I'm crazy old, I'm only 21, but since when did I become old enough to live across the world and travel by myself, lead my parents around a different country, have a brother who is getting married and be a soon to be senior in college. It's surreal that these millstones in life, I eagerly day dreamed about in high school are finally here. The closer I get to leaving my Italian fantasy, the closer I become to reality.

At first, I can say, the thought of going back to Buffalo was depressing. So depressing. However, being away from Buffalo, and the USA for that matter, has given me a greater appreciation for the life I have and the place I call home. Although, I don't see myself living permanently in Buffalo, my life for right now, is in Buffalo. I have degrees to finish, dancing, my students, work and my family to get back to. I choose to see this coming year as the last chapter of my college saga. This study abroad experience has been the climax of my story, and now from there, I need my happy ending. My motivated nature, has been even more revved up and I'm ready to take all the knowledge, independence, positivity and confidence that I've found from these past few months and take them with me as I finish my last year of school and step into my next great adventure. Real life. I know I'm not the only college student or "20 something" to feel this way, but I'm truly excited to see what comes next. I took a big leap of faith by coming to Italy by myself and that feeling of excitement, fear and anxiety right before I got onto the airplane was the most liberating feeling I've ever experienced. I know that right after college is going to feel like getting on that airplane all over again, but I'm ready and eager. It's time.

Sorry, diary entry over…

I have had such incredible and unexpected travel experiences these past few weeks. My friends laugh at me and say that every place I go is my "new favorite place," but how can it not be?! It's something new and different, not to mention beautiful. My eyes don't even know what to do with themselves anymore for all the beauty I've seen!

Prague {Praha}- Everyone was right, a hidden gem! The best way to describe Prague would be a mix between Germany and Paris. There was a lot of history, incredible architecture, beautiful views, sweet people and amazing food. Pretty sure I gained 10lbs easy here! They are known for sweet bread, hot wine, sausage, potato dumplings, goulash, meat, fried cheese and more beer than you know what to do with! Highlight of my trip would be the Lennon Wall, which is a symbol of freedom and rebellion against the communist during the 80's and John Lennon was used as the symbolic figure of peace. The wall is filled with art, different quotes, love letters and any other symbols of peace. I really loved Prague, especially in the spring with all the Easter festivities and would recommend going there if you ever get a chance! 




Sicily {Catania, Giardini Naxos, Etna, Taormina}- 
The beauty of Italy continues to amaze me. I loved this trip because there was such a variety. We had the history and food in Catania (holy cannoli), beautiful beach scene in Giradini Naxos, outdoorsy and hiking up Mt. Etna (FYI the second largest active volcano in the world) and beauty and scenic views in Taormina. The weather was beautiful the entire time and all the people were soooo stunning. No wonders all the American Sicilians I know are so gorgeous ;)



Family in Italia { Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Padova, Lake Garda and Venice}-
Having my family here was definitely a highlight of my trip, for many reasons, but also the most stressed I've been since my time here! In Bologna style, it was such a hassle for them to get here! They were denied in Toronto trying to get to France because their passports expired in 90 days or less and you can't travel to certain countries if your passport is in between 60-90 days of expiration. Well no one knew this or told them this, so strike one. Luckily, they got their passports expedited (also stressful because it all depended on time) and got on the next flight out of Toronto to Florence. Of course, they "land" in Florence and can't land because of high winds, and have to drive from Bologna to Florence, strike two. The humdinger, my brother was supposed to propose to his girlfriend in Paris and this entire time we all knew he was planning on proposing in Paris and the poor kids plan was crushed, strike three. After that absolute craziness, the rest of their time here was such a blast! I loved showing my family around Florence, it was so surreal to show them where I live and guiding my family (my dad struggled with this one) around the city! I showed them all the touristy sites, did lots of shopping and ate amazingggg meals. We travled to Siena for a day trip and then went to San Gimignano for a wine tour (such a blast). This was my favorite day because both places were so stunning, it was the perfect "Under the Tuscan Sun" view.


It was also my favorite because San Gimignano is where…. My brother and Jessica got engaged!! Eek!! Yayy! So happy!! I need to quickly say, they have my favorite love story because Jessica is my moms childhood best friends daughter! So, in a slight way, they were meant to be together! I couldn't love Jess more and I'm so blessed that she is going to be my sister. My brother is the happiest and his best version of himself when he is with her and that makes me love her even more. Our entire family couldn't be happier for this addition to our crazy, Ziggy and loud Bologna family! Plus, I LOVE weddings and love LOVE and I will go into full wedding mode when I get home! So happy my brother found his fairytale ending!

We spent Easter weekend in Padova, Lake Garda and Venice with my Italian Bologna family! This was truly one of the best weekends. I love being surrounded by family, and being with them in Italy made it even more precious. I feel so truly blessed to have spent time in Italy with my Italian cousins, not once, but twice. I couldn't love them more and it made my experience that much more unique and special. Now, it's their turn to come to the states! We promised each other it wouldn't be another 10 years!



More of Italy {Pisa and Cinque Terre} This past weekend, I explored more of Italy and went to Pisa and Cinque Terre. Pisa was actually a really cute town, I kept saying a very mini version of Florence and the tower was actually leaning (go figures). It was a little like the Mona Lisa, anticlimactic, because I pictured it being so big. But, I got the picture! Cinque Terre was beyond breathtaking. The 5 islands all had something different to offer and had the most incredible views. The only downfall was the torrential rain the entire time, but this is definitely someplace worth going back to because it was perfect.



Coming soon…

This coming weekend I go to Croatia! Yayyy! I'm so excited for this trip and to be on the beach, go on a boat and swim in a waterfall!

The next weekend, (aka my last hurrah), is in Amalfi Coast. I've been looking forward to this trip since January and it's bitter sweet that it's finally here!

This is so crazy to say, but that next weekend I leave for home. Woah. Now talk about bitter sweet.

We can't talk about that just yet! I still have 3 weeks to live up abroad!

Until next time…

Baci e abbracci
xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment